05-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #37
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majdnoon View Post
"Grip and roadholding are different from handling. Handling is all about feel. Handling cannot be quantified with a stopwatch."

-Jeremy Clarkson, 1997.
Truest words ever spoken. I can't even begin to describe how angry I get when I try to discuss handling with someone and they keep resorting to lap times and skid pad G forces. Handling has nothing to do with how fast a car goes through turns and everything to do with how it feels in your hands and responds to your inputs. When I was in high school I had an E36 and my mom had a Mercedes CLK with pretty sticky tires, that CLK would go so much more quickly through the twisty roads around my house but its handling was terrible. The steering wheel didn't even feel connected to the tires, the car would bounce and jiggle around any time it hit a bump, body roll was enough to make you laugh, etc.

The trouble with driving an E30 M3 today and trying to judge it is many of them are in absolutely shitty condition. I've never driven the E30 M3, but the few E30s I've driven were all beat to hell and back and those ones obviously sucked so I hope someday someone presents me with the opportunity to drive one in mint condition.
Appreciate 0