The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreed View Post
THANKS guys for the advice,

I really am trying to learn more about manual adjustments to my shots. I recently have been shooting all in RAW and editing my photos on Cannon's (somewhat bad) editing software. I picked up a very nice tripod that will last me many many years, so i can do some night shots now.

As for the thirds rule that has been on my thumb for awhile. I just loved how the dogs chased each other in that pic, I wish it was more in focus.

Im looking into taking a short photography class or talking to some friends. But I will defiantly share some more on here in the future!
Just try not to overwhelm yourself by going manual all the time, you'll find yourself thinking more then shooting. After some time, it will all become more natural and manual will be like an extension of your hand.

As M_six mentioned, try shooting in aperature mode for a while but leave your ISO set to auto. Then after some time shooting that way, start to control your ISO setting, and eventually you will get comfortable having control over it as well. Always review images and look at the corresponding shutter speed compared with the ISO and aperture.

Depending on your camera, try out some of the scene modes, but you will find there are scene modes built into aperture mode, program mode, shutter priority, and even manual. They empahsize different groups of colours and alter the sharpness and contrast for each scenerio.

There's a lot to learn, so definitely take your time, just just keep shooting. And as you mentioned, I'm willing to bet you would enjoy a class. You seem very excited.

And no matter how confident you feel in yourself, keep posting up pictures and asking for hints and tips, there's lots of us in here who love to assist.

Definitely find yourself a nice editing program such as Lightroom or DxO optics pro, I would recommend Lightroom however. The amount of flexibility you get from a RAW file is barely exploited by the Canon software to the point where I haven't even installed any of it.

Good luck, and enjoy the shooting. Having dogs around makes for lots of available muse time
Appreciate 0