View Single Post
      05-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
Expired
Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Help Identifying problem..

The front end on my '01 530i is feeling a bit loose.
When I let go of the wheel it will pull a little to the left or a little to the right, depending on what it wants to do.
Holding the wheel steady in a turn, I have to correct a little bit even though I judged the turn perfectly. It's as if the wheels are moving/changing angle while in the turn. (Reference.. on turns like in this pic.)

The pull is unpredictable, I have to sit there and constantly let go then correct the wheel again to try and get it to go in a straight line on its own. In most cars to me it is stiff and apparent where this sweet spot is. (Dead center of course) Today I let go and it drifted a little bit to the right, and then quickly drifted faster to the right a few seconds in out of nowhere.

After accelerating to around 45mph the steering wheel will also start to shake left and right fairly fast like as if going over a ton of bumps, but then goes away after a short bit.

It started up about a week or so ago and I haven't hit anything to my knowledge, I figured it might go away after a little while.. -___- The only thing I can think of that might affect the front end is for the past two months I've been having to drive over a long 2x4 in my driveway. Its angled diagonally in the driveway so all of the wheels go over it at a different time..

Do you think the simple solution is just an alignment, or could it be something else??

-Nathan

Last edited by Expired; 05-07-2008 at 02:15 PM..
Appreciate 0