Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
And they are selling like hotcakes - about 300 of them gone by noon Pacific Time.

I may kick myself for it, but I just can't make myself buy one. For my uses (macro, landscape, night photography) it just doesn't seem to provide a compelling upgrade argument over the 5D2. The better AF is appealing, but I really want that in a high pixel density body (i.e. a 7DII) as most of my fast tracking photography is focal length limited with a 500 + 1.4x.
I can confirm that the reason to go from MkII to MkIII is the AF and the 6-fps. DR range is almost identical until you get up over ISO 1600. I haven't shot a lot of high-ISO with my MkIII, but I think it'll be a noticeable pickup, but not huge.

The AF of the MkIII is enough better that it's become my default setup when I shoot the 500mm plus the 1.4X TC. If the 7D MkII gets this AF system and gain a stop of DR at ISO 1600, I'll jump all over it. I DO miss that pixel density and I'm hardly ever taking the 1.4X TC off, which slows AF some. Of course, with the 7D AF with the TC was hopeless for anything moving real fast.

Dave