04-25-2024, 05:24 PM   #71
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neusser View Post
BMW's best brawny cruiser, IMO.

I also like the looks quite a bit--particularly the rear.

Not the best in terms of the drive, though. Quite a few above it, I'd say. The '50 cars all have the problem of being hefty in the nose like an Audi, but they don't get the same attention the M versions get in order to help dial that out, and I am not sure straight line power could offset the sum total of deficiencies vs. another series BMW that is lighter but tunable--or just going straight M car.
I have an interesting observation. I owned both a M340i and a M550i with DHP for a few years.

I found that the M340i has a very direct steering, does not feel nose heavy, goes round corners like on rails.

I found the M550i has delayed steering, you have to turn the steering more to rotate the car, feels nose heavy, suspension is bouncy with a bit more corner lean, HOWEVER it can go around corners with less effort than the M340i to the point where I am scared to go round a tight bend at say X speed in the M340i but i can go around the same tight bend at 5mph more in the M550i without hesistation and the car leans a bit but it doesn't feel it's anywhere near the limit of adhesion.

There's something about the RWS/DHP.

If there's one thing i want to change (that is easy to do) about the M550i is stiffer front springs. I think that would really transform it.
Appreciate 1
snowbimmer5327.50