09-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #43
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenTul View Post
OP quotes Bloomberg. Bloomberg is US.
And again, that means absolutely nothing as far as what markets will apply with respect to this BMW deal. Certainly, these engines will be used worldwide, just like the current GM engines are. Similarly, if the source of the article were in Switzerland, we wouldn't be limiting the discussion only to what's available that country either.

Like I say, I had no idea this particular point would turn into such an ordeal. If I did I would have qualified my original statements about engine output and such. I wasn't trying to challenge your knowledge or embarrass you by correcting your statements. Again, just putting the facts on the table. I am typically thanked for doing that. It's foreign to me to have a discussion on a BMW forum wherein the source of the article is a huge point of debate. It's news. It's a global company. If they use these engines, they are going to use them throughout the world.

Quote:
In OP, Spyker says "may" and "if negotiations are successful." This is not a commitment. This doesn't declare a strategy for "higher output versions of the motor later."

Per OP, Spyker is in negotiations. They haven't "chosen" anything yet. 222hp quote is from an unnamed source.
Right, yes, sure. It's just a discussion, this. We are merely adding our own speculation. Some healthy debate is great. No need to belabor the fact that the whole thing is based upon rumor. That's the case with most of the speculative articles that come through here. I consider it elementary when discussing articles such as this.

Quote:
VAG is incumbent supplier to Spyker. Its just as likely this release is all about Spyker using BMW to grind VAG on price.
Maybe. Could be. I wouldn't want to speculate on that particular point. Perhaps when more information comes out the political aspects of the deal will be more apparent. Or perhaps not. Personally I am sticking with my opinion that Saab is planning to use BMW's upcoming turbocharged I4 engine to replace the GM Ecotec in at least some applications, and perhaps eventually all of them. Of that much, I remain all but certain. What happens with their other current engines - the GM V6 and Fiat diesels - who knows.
Appreciate 0