View Single Post
      07-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #144
spirocheter
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F11 535d, E90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Yes, there is something called a Wavetrac. Not quite the same as a Quaife - very similar in most respects, but uses two small clutch plates as well. Effectively supposed to provide up to a 100% locking effect.

There may be issues with it though, probably not in the way it works, but perhaps in its 'fitment'. We have yet to see - I believe Evolve are currently researching the possibilities of this Wavetrac differential.

The issue is that BMW have used different sized differentials for each model of vehicle, with some models using more than one size, depending on build number and date. It's very confusing, hence why there are I believe at least three separate Quaife differentials, in different sizes, for the current 3 series alone. Also that doesn't take into consideration the differences between welded and bolted differentials - I don't know how Wavetrac have got round the size issue, as I believe the Wavetrac is based on a Quaife 10N, which I think I'm right in saying doesn't fit a current 3 series. Further more, I don't know how Wavetrac have solved the issue of the welded crown wheel.

Judging by the experiences of machining the current Quaife differentials for application on vehicles with a welded diff, the machining process has to be extremely exact otherwise there will be an inaccuracy in the plane of the crown wheel, which if unnoticed or left unchecked will lead to vibration through the drive line and associated problems thereafter.

I am curious to see how successful the Wavetrac might be. So far, the Quaife has proved itself reliable, and provided the installers are competent, extremely easy to install in terms of accuracy of fitment and suitability to the application. That, the extensive knowledge and backup of Quaife, combined with the technical workshop at Birds and the confidence I have in their workmanship and engineering skills, will still put me firmly in the Quaife camp, despite the extra cost (which for a bolted differential may not be that much more... circa £900 for a bolted diff)
You knew already to whom I referred! You are very knowledgeable on this subject and it is with great interest I follow this thread. Certainly I agree Quaife is proven and a quality product. I would imagine Evolve would not go to market without a quality product though and what welcome competition this will bring! It seems from the interest in this thread there is a tremendous potential market for the LSD. I'm saving my pennies and may yet place one on order.

Any idea how the LSD will affect winter driving dynamics - ie on snow and ice. I would imagine it would serve to improve driveability ... any experiences?
Appreciate 0