View Single Post
      12-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #42
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Chill dude, we all know by now that you're a P-car fanboy, but there's no need to rag on our E89s. This has been discussed ad naseum: the new Z4 is definitely geared towards a different mkt. I don't spend everyday at the track and its definitely a better all-rounder and better looking imo.

The 911 is still ho-hum to me. Of course it's iconic, it's the same model lying around for almost 50 yrs and they haven't changed anything significant about it (just minor tweaks here and there from model to model - disclaimer: of course it changed over the whole lifespan, but from MY to MY, their engineers/designers have to be some of the laziest ppl in the industry).

Now back on topic.
Lazy? LOL.

The 911 has been beyond successful, why should they change the design and alienate/polarize people who love the classic never out of style shape?
The engineering is there in spades as anyone who knows Porsche or owned one (I qualify as both) can attest to.
The engineers and designers are anything but lazy. They have been able to continue using the flat 6 engine for 50 years whereas most of manuf. have had to move from 6 cylinders to 8 to 10 even The RS 4.0 is engineering at its best, both car and engine. They test and overengineer probably more than any other manuf. in the industry. How do you think theyve been able to keep the car fresh (design wise) and continue to be the benchmark car (performance and driving) everyone wants to emulate? Its due to superior engineering.
Did you know synchro mesh was invented by Porsche? Did you know the transmission of the future, the dual clutch transmission was also invented by Porsche over 20 years ago. I highly doubt that you can call them lazy when the auto industry as a whole has benefited from the fact that they have the best engineers in the world.

Now that youve hopefully learned something, back on topic.

And I didnt mean to rag on the z4 intentionally, its a nice car (no boxster of course), but my comment was more based on the direction bmw is going.

Last edited by IMG; 12-14-2011 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 0