Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
You do know Gretzky played for one of the best teams in NHL history right? The Oilers team that finally took down the three time champion NY Islanders. He made himself known on the Oilers, and then they built a team and the entire sport around Gretzky.

If it isn't obvious to you yet, the NBA isn't doing so hot right now. Its image is still tarnished and has a long way to go before it can compete with baseball or football. Lebron James is the last great hope for the NBA and David Stern knows this. Major markets matter. Kobe plays in LA... for a reason. Alex Rodriguez went to the Yankees for a reason. There are 10 million people alone in NYC. Now add in all the suburbs that spend money on these teams and you have yourself a MAJOR market. Cleveland (no offense) is far from a major market.
Yay, you told me stuff about gretzky I already knew. Yes he became the shit with the oilers. Became a bigger legend with the kings and bowed out as a ranger. whooptie do. Oh and like Baseball has this great image with its players sitting in front of the senate every other month. footballs looking real good too with it's rapists, drug addicts, club fights, running people over and not to forget major brain injuries.

Anyways... Lebron could be considered a savior for the NBA but there are other guys. Just because Kobe plays in LA means nothing about his brand. Not only LA people buy Kobe stuff, not only NYC area people buy Arod stuff aaaaannnnd not only cleveland people buy Lebron stuff. It's called a world market, I'm sure you've heard of it. LBJ makes more of his money off of everywhere else then he would regardless of the city he plays in. I said it above, for LBJ to make his billion America (including the major markets) will only provide a portion of that money, he has to have the chinese market behind him. Which last time I checked they could care less where anyone of these guys play as long as their great and winning.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0