03-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
I'm doing the ketogenic diet right now as well. You'll suffer a potential 1-2 week crash where your body is adjusting to using fats as a source of energy instead of carbs.

The only grain carb I'm comsuming now is my breakfast cereal (kashi golean regular) and one slice of toast. All the other carbs are coming from veggies. I'm only eating one fruit and a small cup of berries per day. Everything else consist of meats, dairy, fish, nuts, beans and veggie.

MrBlonde, I'd love to hear what sort of meals you had in one day as well as ur height so that I can gauge the quantity that I need to eat.
Be careful, the devil is in the details with keto dieting. My first advice is to get some Ketostix and use them every morning. They are test papers you piss on first thing which will let you know if you actually in ketosis or not. Doing a halfassed ketogenic cycle is worthless, you've got to get into ketosis and stay there.

Sounds to me like you're eating way too many carbs to be in ketosis.

As for how much to eat, you need to be on top of your BMR.

BMR and calories
BMR is basal metabolic rate and is the energy expended by your body to merely be alive. In clinical tests BMR is measured after a person has sleep for 8 hours and has eaten nothing for 12 hours and remains in a reclined position. It's the amount of calories you use by doing nothing at all.

BMR is important for both training and fat loss because it's an approximation of how many calories you require each day to stay exactly as you are. Not to gain any mass or lose any mass.

There are online calculators that help you get an approximate value for your BMR. Check out this one http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

Now for fat loss or for mass gain the same rules apply. The recommendation is a 10-20% variance in calories either way. So for an aggressive mass loss phase, I would target to eat 20% less calories than my BMR.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0