08-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #37
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
South as always, great info...

From what I gather the system in the ///M (to debut in the X6 supposedly) is based on the mechanical system unlike the active hybrid models with batteries which is solely electrical.

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2008/07/25...rids/#more-401

The recent incident with the crew member getting shocked is just one of the issues with an electrical system....

But on the other hand BMW has been discussing taking the electric system to F1 and subsequently to street cars....

The issues I have with these press releases is that BMW let alone ///M would never make a formal announcement about something they are developing as it would squash the marketing after the fact....
Thanks!

It's kinda unusual for BMW but they said something about developing KERS and thus gaining a lot of experience and know how for series production.

A German press release cites Klaus Dräger: "We see the new 2009 F1 regulation as a chance to use innovative hybrid technology and therefore gain important insight for the series production. BMW customers will benefit from that since the KERS unit as developed for the BMW Sauber F1.09 features a highly efficient type of brake energy regeneration. Its operating mode is similar to ActiveHybrid."

That sounds like an electric KERS for ///M models, but that's only my guess.

Best regards, south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0