View Single Post
      11-10-2013, 02:43 AM   #19
EvenSteven
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibbell View Post
Looking for some feedback from more knowledgeable members.

I picked up my car used and have loved it for about a year of daily driving. My only real issue is that I'm picking up 85-99 dB in cabin on the highway. I suspect that has a lot to do with two factors.

1. The previous owner removed the front wheel liners. Maybe to prevent rubbing?
2. It has 20" Vossen CV3s with 285/30 in the rear and 245/35 in the front. (Michelin PS A/S+ in case it matters)

Do you guys think replacing the wheel liners will help dramatically? I suspect it will help quite a bit but I've been wrong in the past. I don't have a direct comparison to make.

What about changing to 19" 220s with thicker rubber? Any recommendation on tire size and type?

Or should I just move out of Portland? I feel like they make the roads loud to encourage us all to bike to work. Maybe I should just give up and get a Lincoln and turn in my man card?
I find 19" 220s with stock rubber to be far noisier than my 20" wheels. It could be the Michelins, I always found their tires to be noisy.

The problem is the tire size in the front is friggin' enormous (rear is kind of tall, too), which is why he had to remove the liners. Is the car dropped at all?

Replacing the liners and changing to a more reasonable tire size (245/30 or 255/30 up front) will help a lot. I've been very happy with a 255/30 up front and 305/25 in the rear. Hankook V12s, not an amazeballs performance tire (then again you don't buy 20s for performance), but cheap, relatively durable, and quite comfortable on the street.
Appreciate 0