View Single Post
      04-25-2023, 12:27 PM   #18
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
For me my mental strength wasn't as strong in my 20's-30's so I'm kind of uncovering the will to really push the my limits now at 43. The responses have helped me realize this is what is going on. So am I stronger now all around, yes, but can I put on muscle as easily as I once did, no way.

zx10guy have you gotten to the bottom of what the lower back pain is? Bulging disc maybe? I had a year of that, turned into sciatica pain, all stemming from improperly deadlifting using the smith machine - which was a massive oversight, but taught me a lot. Now I can deadlift and squat no problem. Strong abs, proper hip hinging, and actually deadlifts and squats keep my lower back from hurting these days.
There hasn't been a single cause per say. It was weird as about two years ago it just started hurting and has never fully healed. I think it's a combination of things. One is due to my height. I just have a lot of surface area and I can have issues with my joints and such. The other is due to all the years of me abusing my body from all the volleyball tournaments I've played. The jumping up in the air and landing was a significant toll on my body. Even when I was younger, I would be wincing from pain periodically after playing some games. Add all that up and I have confirmed disc degeneration that has been commented on by the radiologist on a few of my cancer follow up CT scans.

One thing that sort of helps is that I have neglected doing abs as part of my workout for years. I've only recently started doing abs again. Once I get my abs where I need them to be for more core support, I'll start thinking about maybe doing lower back work.
Appreciate 1