sterile stork
coupe la goon
United_States
Rep
Drives: green, black, white

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@IND View Post
That cost does not include a new headliner, new control panel, roof moldings, and labor. The front and rear glass must be removed prior to removal of the factory panel. From there all spot welds must be broken then the surface must be carefully ground down to provide a smooth mounting flange. After this is complete the panel needs to be laid with a careful application of adhesive. There is about 12 hours of setting time and then our body tech will go through and clean the panel of all excess adhesive. New roof moldings are required and after paint are installed. Followed then by the installation of the front and rear glass.

We have performed this job and it is identical to the procedure we use for our E90 M3 carbon roof conversion albeit the fact that have the opportunity to use a OEM BMW carbon panel. Depending on how detailed you want to get you will also need a new headliner and a new overhead control panel that reflects the absence of the sunroof controls.

For labor we utilize the OEM Valvoline panel adhesive or a similar grade 3M product. It has been a couple years, but total job time was approximately 18 hours.

If you are interested please let us know, but it might be more advantageous to locate a vehicle without the sunroof.
Same roof trim pieces can be used, this was verified. It was just performed by a local enthusiast in perfect execution and phenomenal results. All of the parts were acquired for less than $2000 from BMW.

With exception of the glazing removal, it is a do it yourself venture with adequate time, and patience to properly drill the spot weld, not drill through them. It is something I plan to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
Sounds expensive to me. I would be shocked if the installed price was less than $2k. Also it's not exactly a bolt-on part.

I can see doing it if you already bought a car and decided on the carbon roof. But it's going to be a lot cheaper and easier to find a car with the roof you want to begin with.
It most certainly may be cheaper from the get go to find the car with the options you desire. It's also a great DIY project (except for the glass removal and reinstallation.)
Appreciate 0