Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1descending
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing1220 View Post
Is there really that much additional engineering design cost required to create that combination? They are manufacturing F22s with xDrive. They are manufacturing F22s with manual transmissions. What's the great engineering / cost leap involved in combining a manual and AWD system on the same platform? Particularly where they've already demonstrated an ability and willingness to do that exact combination with the F30/F32. I feel like I'm trying to convince the BMW board here to reconsider their decision.
According to Wikipedia the 1-series coupe sold around 25,000 units worldwide per year. I'm not sure what the exact take rate is on manuals these days but I often see numbers in the 4-5% range floated around, which would be around 1,000 of those 25,000 cars. Now take however many of those 1,000 will opt for x-drive as well and we're talking about maybe a few hundred cars, if they're expecting similar sales figures for the 2 series. I can see why they wouldn't even bother outfitting the assembly line for an extra option combination that virtually nobody is buying, especially when you consider that some fraction of those few hundred people will just opt for the RWD version instead and buy the car anyway.

Not sure why it would be offered on the F30 but obviously they sell a lot more of those so maybe that's why. I'm sure it's not really THAT costly to offer the option on the 2-series but its pretty easy to see why they would forego it.
I'm going to guess that the take rate on sports cars OR sporty coupes is always greater than the all-car average of manual take. For example a much larger percent of buyers would choose a manual in a 135 than they would have say in an Audi A4 sedan or a 328.....as my guess. Evidence of this is just looking at 2nd hand cars for sale and how many are manuals.

to address the original poster, I'd say BMW knows it's customer base and knows the majority of 'enthusiasts' who want a manual will *probably* go after the RWD version over the AWD one.
Appreciate 0