08-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #3770
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
Chewy: How are you liking your big stopper so far? I am really disappointed with the adjustable ND filter I have. Optics arent that good so I'm loosing picture quality on the D800. It didnt show that much on the D7000 tho.

I really liked the effect of the longer exposures the big stopper provides, but wasnt so sure about the $400 expense to get the foundation kit and all that just for that filter.

I am seriously considering the B+W 3.0 10 stops ND instead for $100.

I found a good comparison between the two. http://mattlauder.wordpress.com/2010...er-review-pt1/
MaximusJ,

The LEE Big Stopper is the best 10-stop ND filter there is. I don't think there's much argument about that. The problem is the price and the extreme lack of availability. Most photogs I've spoken to that have the B+W got it because the LEE was on backorder for 6 months, on average, and needed something quick. If they had the opportunity to buy one or the other, I don't know a single one (out of maybe 6) who wouldn't choose LEE.

That being said, I highly recommend it with the LEE foundation kit. I was able to use it with a 105mm LEE CP as well, as well as a LEE GND. The foundation kit gives you a lot of flexibility and is constructed well.

If you're interested in either the LEE Big Stopper or 105mm CP, PM me, since I have an extra of both.