07-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #4473
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I carry my 500/f4 by the tripod foot and have the 7D on a CPS strap around my neck with the 70-200/f4. That keeps the weight on my neck reasonable. It's still a load that I'll carry for hundreds of yards per day and up to a couple of hours. For a two-mile hike in, I really need to get a backpack for the 500/f4. I don't do that often, but I need something like that.

I've noticed that most of the pro sports photogs have their long lens on a monopod and the short cameras slung around their shoulders or necks.

I thank my junior high and high school coaches for forcing me to lift weights. I've got a linebacker build and started water skiing at age-6 and played all sports, so it may be easier for me to lug things than the average photog. (Now if I could just lose 30-pounds off my stomach, it'd be real easy going). Unfortunately the arthritus in my ankles, feet and neck, caused by those sports, somewhat offset the benefits. Believe me, those ankle sprains at 12 to 18 hurt even more at 65. (Not as acute, but longer lasting... or constant).

Dave
The problem I have with using a monopod for one rig is that you have to be really careful what you do with it when you grab the other rig hanging around your neck. You can sort of lean it against your body while using the other rig, but you risk the whole thing falling over. At least with a tripod, you can just let it sit there while you use the other rig. You can even walk a few steps away, if need be.

And I'm right there with you on the weight thing. 30lbs off my gut would be hugely beneficial. I try to do a lot of walking, but some knee injuries from my Army days and current issues with the nerves and bones in my feet have limited me as I get older. Just a couple of years ago I could speed walk 2-3 miles easily. Now a walk around campus leaves me limping. Getting old sucks. I did walk 4 miles in Boston one day while I was there. I was fine while walking, but I was aching badly later.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0