norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 111R View Post
I just got my car back from getting the recall done. It's a 2011 335i built in May, 2011. I only have 22,500 miles and (2) of the (4) bolts on the intake side were broken off. The tech removed the oil pan to retrieve the bolt heads and the oil was changed.

I did not think to give them an oil sample kit to check for metal particles, but the tech stated that when the bolt heads break off it's a clean break and they haven't seen any small pieces in any of the engines they've done. The oil was changed only about 2k miles ago, so it was relatively clean to begin with. Since the old bolts are made of aluminum, hopefully fine particles (if any) wouldn't have as much effect as would steel ones.

The car runs great now, but I didn't have any codes or other issues when I took it in for the recall. I guess I'm lucky in that one or both of the other bolts didn't break before I got this done.
Holy crap! Glad you got that fixed! I should have asked how things looked in my car when I took it back, but I forgot.

For what it's worth, I feel like my car is a bit smoother and that the engine is a bit less chattery. However, that could be down to the placebo affect of having the recall done.

That said, the behavior with longer cranks only when the engine is warm that I mentioned to the service manager doesn't seem to be there anymore since I took my car back. Now that I said that though, I'll probably notice it again.