Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
I'll obviously be taking my 20D with me. I think my 17-40 f/4L, 70-300mm, and nifty-fifty should be more than enough to cover me. I was seriously considering just taking my 17-40. That would be good enough for wide-angle stuff and regular all-around shooting. I'd miss the telephoto stuff, but how often will I really change lenses on the go? Plus it's a pain in the ass to walk around for 10+ hours for a couple days with extra weight. Man... if only I had bought that Leica... it would be the body, one 35mm lens, and that's it. ...
Chewy, if you only shot street stuff, then the Leica is a great camera, but if you've ever lived with a rangefinder, you'll never long for one after using a good SLR. Forget about getting out over 100mm and choke just looking at the len prices.

I happily carry my 5D2/24-105mm combo around all day. The 70-200mm is usually in a nearby bag, if needed. Those combos shoot day and night in just about any situation.

I'm leaving on a trip this Thursday and trying to decide if I want the 7D/500mm in the bag (rollerbag really). Part of my trip will have me just a few miles from Gatorland and I might pop by to take a few bird in flight shots. I might also have some wildlife opportunities in the Bahamas. I think I've convinced myself. Anyway, with the Leica, that's not an option.

Dave