Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
if you want better bokeh, go with the 24-70 F2.8L. i have a 24-105, but it is not fast enough for my tastes. it is the slowest lest i own besides my 500mm. of course if you are using it on a 1.6x crop camera, you have wasted the low focal length. i use mine predominately on a 5D2, so i get the full 24mm, but i also have a 16-35 F2.8L, so i prefer that.
He cropped down from an even wider view, so no focal length was "wasted" but that reminds me, when using any lens, but particularly a zoom, crop the image fairly tight in the camera so that you maximize the pixels on the subject. This maximizes the print size that you can make.

IMHO, the 24-105mm is plenty fast enough for the 5D MkII or MkIII. I use it for night shooting regularly and the results are fantastic. The IS comes in very handy at slow shutter speeds.

I'm thinking of the 16-35mm for myself. Do you shoot it much out past 24mm? My inclination lately, for scenics, is to shoot a multi-shot panorama when my 24mm isn't wide enough. I guess that I could use the 16mm for interior shots, but that has me leaning toward the 8-15mm.

Dave