Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
MachinesWithSouls, Siri's XM is a separate company and if you want to listen to their stations after the first year teaser that is up to you. Otherwise the radio in the car still works and this is no different than paying for a premium channel like HBO, Showtime, etc. with your cable TV provider. If you don't want those premium channels you can still watch the basic channel lineup. All of the functionality of your TV is still there.
This is totally different than the subscription approach that BMW is trying to push on the car's features like heated seats, heated steering wheel, etc.
Why is it any different? You paid for the satellite receiver in your car. But unless you keep your subscription, it's useless. Does it matter who's collecting the bill?
You purchase a TV with the understanding that you must pay for subscription services. But Samsung doesn't charge you to turn on the TV itself. That's what BMW is planning to do.
MachinesWithSouls, the point is the following: as commented earlier, a subscription business model for features that need no upgrades since the day of taking delivery, is an inconsiderate money grab ploy.

As far as I know, no physical/mechanical/OTA updates are required by BMW to keep heated seats and High Beam Assist fully operational on a car featuring those options since delivery (except for offering warranty during a limited period of time, but that's another discussion). I have/had those features on all my BMW M cars and during all those years no action whatsoever (efforts/costs/investments/services) was required by BMW to keep those features fully operational.

BMW should by no means be surprised that introducing some sort of "protection money" business model, more particularly to keep heated seats and High Beam Assist alive/operational on a car, hits a nerve.
We're saying the same thing. You're fine on current models. This would apply for future ones.