View Single Post
      12-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #132
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu1 View Post
I have never had a meal that tasted worth 100 bucks. I must live under a rock or something.
Nah, you're technically correct. I waste more money every year on fine dining than anyone I know but I'll be the first to admit that none of this food is worth as much as restaurants charge for it.

You have to view it as an expensive hobby.

Some people spend thousands of dollars on watches or designer bags or designer clothes or jewelry (which to some extent one might even view as "investments" albeit poor ones, because you can always sell them). I spend thousands of dollars on filets and red wine reductions and potato purees and jus which disappear the moment I consume them It's just what I like.

But honestly if you're going to waste thousands of dollars on fine dining you better have deep, deep pockets, because as you implied the product doesn't really justify the cost. You're just hemorrhaging money that goes towards paying for the preparation (and sometimes the ambience), because food at its core is really quite inexpensive.

I will say though I think it's worth going to a Michelin star caliber restaurant at least once in your life.

The thing about fine dining is an expertly cooked piece of meat isn't really worth $50 or $100 or $200 or whatever restaurants charge for it, but at the same time it's highly unlikely that you'd be able to replicate that kind of preparation at home. You might be able to replicate 50% of it for 1/10 of the cost (i.e. you'll always get much better value cooking at home), but it'll never be quite the same unless you're a classically trained chef.

If I ever get the chance to marry a chef I'm totally going for it
Appreciate 0