View Single Post
      04-02-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

What happens to driver with no driver's license in an accident in California?

Does anyone know what happens to a driver who rear-ends into another car, and this driver (18 years old) does not have a driver's license, but has insurance. The insurance is under his mom.

long story short:

18 yr old hits my parents on I-5 at stop n go traffic
18 yr old starts crying, begs not to call police
parents collect his insurance info, identification (looks like a driver's license), but he does not ask my parents for their info
cops were not called unfortunately. (i wished my parents called them to get a report)

if my parents called the cops, they probably would tow the the boy's car.

Now here's the kicker, we want to go through our insurance (Allstate). So once we report who the real driver is , and his info, and stuff, what is going to happen to the boy?

Will his insurance get involved or our insurance report to the police? Is insurance companies required to report unlicensed drivers to the police in any claim process? Then what happens to the boy?

Just curious.

At first my parents decided to help this boy out, since the mom said she will pay out of pocket. (perhaps to keep him out of jail).

But we now feel the damage is too extensive for them to pay out of pocket. (they don't see very wealthy). And we don't want to get screwed for lying about the story later on. So we feel like we should just be straight and true.

Thanks.

Car was some ford explorer which hit my moms Acura TSX.
Appreciate 0