View Single Post
      04-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #3028
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Thanks; it pretty much confirms my thoughts.

I first thought of SSD as a permanent solution for picture backups, but the limited size and price makes it impossible under a wide load of cash and drives. I'm pretty sure my actual backup workflow could be better tho.

I'm currently stocking them all on external 1TB Seagate drive; with double backups on DVDs. But I'm affraid of the long term viability of DVDs; even when stocked properly. I really want this kind of "hard" backup because a HDD can fail anyday.

What could I do to improve the reliability of my backups here other then buying a raid of SSD?

I know my laptop cant handle SATA right now; but i'm thinking long term.

I have enough of my computers grinding my gears when it comes to Post Process. (I got a P4 3.0ghz desktop and a c2d 2.0ghz laptop; both over 5 years old) So i've decided to make an investment and changing the whole rig for a quality desktop dedicated to Postprocess. I have a warm feeling about the Mac's 27inch display which has an amazing resolution. But this is pretty much the only reason pushing me into mac. I will try to find a display with the same kind of resolution for PCs but if not, I will probably switch to Mac. But i'm sure there's some eye candy out there for PC users.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0