09-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #23
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
imho this forum does not really represent what is typical. There really aren't that many (out of the general population) where their parents bought them a BMW. There are trust fund babies, but they are few and far between. Captains of industry do pull in more than 80 mil./year on Wall St., Silicon Valley, etc., but again, few and far between.

Food for thought, if a typical doctor pulls in 300k, do you think he can afford to buy his kid a BMW? Highly unlikely.

We do have two things in the US that I feel contribute to the HS student driving a spanking brand-new BMW--leasing, and shortage of time. Leasing helps keep the cash flow relatively smaller for a big ticket item. If a busy parent has little time to spend with their child because they're working 70+ hours a week, what better way to say I love you kid than to lease them a new car?

p.s. a 21 y.o. high school kid is a loser imho, he should have graduated by 17 or 18
I have to disagree with the 300k a year not being able to buy his kid a BMW. I am 20 by the way, and in my second year in college. I am currently working as an intern for the 5th largest banking institution in the world. So I don't consider myself a complete loser (I would consider myself a winner if I was completely financially independent), but I'm glad to see there are people with higher standards such as yourself.