BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave550i View Post
Sorry to sort of hijack the thread but im thinking of going the non runflat route also but what do we do when we are on the M1 smart motor way for example with no hard shoulder and we get a instant flat tyre? this is what worries me and makes me think to stick with run flats just for piece of mind especially if you have family with you, very frightening
Balance of probability... it's extremely unlikely to get an instant blowout flat rather than a slow puncture, especially if you look after your car.

If your tyres are in good condition, tread above minimum limits, no damage/bulges/cracks to sidewalls etc... it's not likely to be a rapid puncture... nails or bolts in the tyre can still hold pressure very well.

So, it depends which side of the line of risk/benefit you lie.
Me, I'm firmly in the non-runflats.
They're cheaper, far more comfortable, better quality, less likely to get damaged (or cause damage... runflat + pothole can be extremely traumatic for the car).
The downside is that you cannot run when they are flat.

But then only once have I had a puncture I couldn't drive on, out of 3. The other 2 were slow punctures so could keep them topped up. The 3rd was a shattered wheel which even a runflat wouldn't have been able to drive on.

My progress thread
Appreciate 0