View Single Post
      06-09-2018, 08:08 AM   #11
Portadown95
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i with THP, Sport Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreb View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has successfully gotten the BMW M Performance LSD on a 228i. I've heard somewhat conflicting things from local dealers. One told me yes, it's available, $2895 plus installation costs at the dealer, and can be ordered installed on any new BMW. Another told me it's only available via the parts department, who only show a limited slip differential part number for the M235i, not the 228i. So then the question becomes: can the LSD for the M235i be installed on a 228i? The two cars have different final drive ratios from the factory (3.91 for the 228 vs. 3.08 for the 235), which suggests maybe even if it's possible to use the same LSD, it might adversely affect performance.

I really like the practicality of the turbo I4 in the 228 but I worry about the road worthiness of a RWD car with an open diff. in Winter months going over the pass. And I wouldn't want to spend a chunk of cash and then be the first to attempt to put an LSD on a 228. So any experience or expertise welcome. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hreb View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has successfully gotten the BMW M Performance LSD on a 228i. I've heard somewhat conflicting things from local dealers. One told me yes, it's available, $2895 plus installation costs at the dealer, and can be ordered installed on any new BMW. Another told me it's only available via the parts department, who only show a limited slip differential part number for the M235i, not the 228i. So then the question becomes: can the LSD for the M235i be installed on a 228i? The two cars have different final drive ratios from the factory (3.91 for the 228 vs. 3.08 for the 235), which suggests maybe even if it's possible to use the same LSD, it might adversely affect performance.

I really like the practicality of the turbo I4 in the 228 but I worry about the road worthiness of a RWD car with an open diff. in Winter months going over the pass. And I wouldn't want to spend a chunk of cash and then be the first to attempt to put an LSD on a 228. So any experience or expertise welcome. Thanks.

Original poster, did you ever get any resolution on this issue? I have a 15 228i with THP and always felt the car simply could not harness all the power when I floored it. I have a new x3 m40 with xdrive and I think it helps Harness the 355 hp but it does not handle or corner like the 228. If I buy another 2 series I might get a 240i and have dealer install the LSD but then you are almost in m2 territory so is it worth it?
Appreciate 1