Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy J View Post
When I bought my 7D I had more of a focus on sports/moving cars along with still ones; since then I've progressed to have a greater interest in still automotive photography, and with any new camera, the most AF-intense thing would probably be panning or rolling shots of cars; mainly concerned about whether the 6D's AF can cut it for such use, although it won't be a massive issue. Very much interested in the greater image quality that a full frame sensor will provide...
I don't think you'll have any trouble with AF in those applications on the 6D.

What worries me is you saying you're, "...interested in the greater image quality that a full frame sensor will provide..." That's no necessarily true. EVERY sensor is a compromise between noise and dynamic range. The 1D X has VERY course pixels and produces great files at very high ISOs. The 7D MkII has extremely dense pixels (if it were full-frame, it'd be over 50 MP) that provides incredible detail resolution, but with a compromise to high-ISO performance. The 6D is a (and 5D MkIII) compromise somewhere in the middle.

Shooting the subjects that you mention, I suspect that you'll be using ISOs below 800. At those ISO levels, the 7D MkII will likely yield higher resolution file with no appreciable noise problems.

Bigger pixels have higher dynamic range, smaller pixels have more detail resolution. Every sensor is a compromise between the two.

Build quality of the 7D MkII will be superior compared to the 6D. The 6D is a high end consumer camera and the 7D MkII is a low end pro camera. That may or may not bother you. The build quality of 6D is not even up to your 7D.