Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1 View Post
I really don't have a preference? I shoot what's available to me...but the way you narrowed it down, it looks like I might be swaying to the 5D direction. However, my son will be taking sports next season so I kinda wanted to future proof myself. These bad boys are not cheap so if I buy one now it's going to be with me for a very long while.
The BIG difference between the 5D2 for me and the 7D is the high-ISO performance of the 5D2. Properly exposed, they're both great at ISO 800 and below. Above ISO 800 the 5D2 starts getting the upper hand and the difference get progressively larger. I wouldn't dream of doing night street scenes with my 7D, but I look forward to it everytime I travel and take my 5D2. If you're NOT going to be pushing ISO a lot, then the 7D really is a great tool when matched with the right lenses.

Some poo-poo the burst rate of the 7D. I use it all the time to great advantage. I'll seldom do 8-shots in a second, but I'll often do a burst of 2 to 4 in .5-second or less. I just shot a corporate golf outing and with the burst I could get the strike of the ball and the ball coming off the club. With sports you can get three or four shots right around the peak action. Quite often all shots will have decent hand and arm positions, but one might have better light on the face or something that really makes one stand out from the others. Of course, for birds in flight I can pick from several wing positions. I love the high burst rate of the 7D and encourage those that have it to make use of it. There's no reason to ration bits and bites now that we're not paying for film anymore.

Dave