View Single Post
      10-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #4802
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I'd suggest investigating Canada first Ed. The warranty is the same as in the USA, so you don't lose any protection. I haven't checked lately, but a few months back a 1DX was around $5,700 USD.

In the 7D2/1DX comparison the advantages of the 1DX are it's incredible high ISO performance and its ability to handle a 2.0x TC-III on a 500mm or 600mm lens while hardly slowing down at all. If the 7D2 slows down as much as 5D MKIII does with its similar battery, then that can be huge.

OTOH, with the crop sensor, the pixel density does give you significantly more reach with the same lenses. You don't need a 600mm, because the 500mm will do and with the 1.4x TC-III it'll be roughly equivalent to 1,120mm. If you can keep the ISO down, then that might be a better option.
Yes, it is a paradox I agree. Part of it is also my impatience. Bird season stars now, and the 7d2 won't be available until at least December now from what I hear, whereas I can get a 1dX by next week. Cuz you know my 1d4 is just so awful

Seriously though I have been looking at a lot of 1Dx pictures on POTN, FM, and Flickr, and am pretty impressed. They seem to be able to handle pretty severe crops, and that is not true with the current 7d.
Appreciate 0