View Single Post
      12-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #187
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
I actually don't disagree with you. I do believe in the right to own a firearm. I just believe it is time for a compromise. We don't need assault rifles in civilian hands. I can still participate and score a 238/240 during my marksman qualification at Edson Range without an AR. Nobody needs a rifle like that for defense or to enjoy the hobby. Is having a ban on rifles like an AR-15 really too much of a sacrifice? One less gun in a gun lovers arsenal?

We will always have shootings, it is in our nature, we are violent. But you can simple cause greater carnage with a rifle that features a high capacity mag, etc... It's not gonna solve everything, but it might be a start.

Right now I can go and purchase an semi automatic with a fore-grip for better hip-fire, a flashlight to blind my enemy, a reflex sight, high capacity mag, etc... It's all designed to clear out a room - quickly; I've done that. You can kill people with a bolt action rifle as well, or a shotgun, a handgun... but not as efficient and fast as a semi automatic long rifle. That is just reality. And yes, you can build a bomb, set things on fire, etc... but we can't control that.

And please don't ask me for a definition of an assault rifle, we all know what I mean, and we all know that I know my guns.

I understand that I don't have the same "romantic" attachment to guns as many Americans. Many grew up with guns, have great memories with their dads at the range, etc... and there is nothing wrong with that. Most gun owners are law abiding citizens, and are horrified as well. And again, I simply hope that we can have a civil discussion about it. We have to come to some compromise, don't we? I got introduced to guns when I joined the military. To me an assault rifle is a deadly tool, nothing more. At the end of my service I handed it in, and that was it.

In life we all have to make some sacrifices at some point, nobody likes to do that, but we have to. I believe this horrific events is a game changer, for the NRA, the gun industry (which is basically the NRA as well), and for us.

I love this country, my wife is american, my daughter is american, and I truly believe it is one of the greatest countries on earth. But I think we can always improve and evolve.
Well I get where you are coming from, but to me that's like if the someone said I had to give up my BMW for a Toyota hybrid, because I didn't need the speed etc. I would be upset either way. And I actually don't think that it's fair to say that no one needs an ar15, why not have the best home defense.

Check out this guy, if those guys were trying to break into my house I would want my AR not my pistol!

''Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.''Ernest Hemingway
Appreciate 0