04-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #50
rado
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
We don't even know that the OP actually experienced this. Everybody else has had complaints of the brakes "not feeling right". That is very different from actual brake failure.
All the reports, including the posted repair order, sound consistent with loss of some or all power assist to the brakes, which would give a "hard pedal" and would feel like most or all braking is lost (you have to press *really hard* on the pedal to get braking when you lose all vacuum to a power-assisted brake system).

But regardless of what any of us thinks about the veracity of these reports, my advise stands that anyone that experiences a malfunction or failure in a new car that results in an unsafe condition should provide an accurate description of their experience to the NHTSA; it's up the NHTSA to review the reports, assess the seriousness of the risk, look for trends, and call for a formal investigation when appropriate. Loss of power assist to the brakes definitely qualifies as an unsafe condition. OTOH, don't bother reporting squealing brakes, dashboard rattles, or a minor steering vibration, leave those to the dealer and BMWNA.
Appreciate 0