Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRide View Post
The big gear is awesome stuff, but my bag with the X-T1, three zooms (covering from 15mm to 300mm) and my Gitzo Traveler tripod weigh just over half of my Canon bag with one zoom and two primes and no tripod. I'm quite happy with that.

Of course the image quality isn't the same, or the price, but it's close. As I get more familiar with massaging the Fuji files I hope the perceived IQ is even closer. I know it will never be as good (in it's current iteration), but close enough for my purposes.

The Canon gear may be spending more time in the safe.
I would always be torn about not getting the best possible shot when I'm in a "special" place. If I hadn't had my 5D2 when it snowed at the Grand Canyon, or if I hadn't had the 5D2 when I was in the London Eye with a full moon, I couldn't have printed those images at 50" for my office.

At the other extreme, I had a G11 that took great pictures so far as color and contrast went. One of my favorite shots with that rig was pond, red rocks, great sky and a pioneer homestead from the 1800s near Larkspur, Colorado. I'm looking at it hanging over my desk right now, BUT the largest that I could print it was 18"x24", due to limited pixels (that sensor is tiny).

Still, there's a compact, FF Sony that looks attractive. One of those, with the right lenses, would be nice, but that'd represent a new, sizable investment, on top of the Canon rigs (one FF and one crop) that I'm unlikely to get rid of.

I'm a "linebacker build", so I may be more tolerant of a heavy load. Still, my left shoulder aches a little right now from hand holding over 1,000 shots of bees, hummingbirds, goslings and other birds, using a 1,000mm rig hand held.

Dave

Fluff. by dcstep, on Flickr