Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
So would that take us back to the need for 2 bodies like we saw with the 5D MkII and the 7D? Or do you think the 5D MkIII will continue to suffice as a single body solution?
I concur, at least for those of us that like to shoot focal length limited subjects. However, the 5D MkIII really fixed the MkII's AF issues to the extent that it is now superior to the 7D in this regards. The 6-fps of the MkIII was also a big step forward for those that shoot sports and wildlife, although I still miss my 8-fps from the 7D. Still, at this moment, the 5D MkIII is a superior bird in flight body to the 7D because of its faster, more accurate AF.

IF the 7D MkII give it close to another stop of DR (it's pixel-density is already high enough, IMHO) then it'll be a go-to camera for focal length limited shooters. (With the new prices on the Series II lenses, many more us will be focal length limited than before the price increases). I would carry both bodies for the luxury of FF for portraits, scenics and travel.

For most people that are serious and can afford it, I'd recommend the 5D MkIII. Most of us don't really need a back up body and few actually shoot a lot of focal length limited situations.

Dave