10-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #398
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg21044 View Post
My throw-away comment about what constitutes an expensive watch has overshadowed the real point of my post...I have a $300 watch that is 97% indistinguishable from a nearly $6k one.

That was the gist and purpose of my post.
Your point goes directly to at least one of the themes of the OP in this thread: if one merely wants a watch having a given look and that keeps time well enough, in most cases, a fake [insert maker's name] is as effective a choice as buying the authentic article of that same make and model. It's only when one attaches more meaning -- a social one in particular -- to a watch than it deserves as a time telling devices, regardless of whether the watch is fake or real, that buying/wearing a fake takes on shady over-/undertones, and that derives from a person, not the watch they wear. When Person A passes Person B, who is unknown to them, "on the street," so to speak, there's absolutely no way for Person A to know what social meaning Person B has assigned or not assigned to their watch. Thus Person A has absolutely no basis for actually caring or even pondering the watch Person B wears, aside perhaps from thinking something akin to "that's a nice looking watch."

Even as I don't care if another person is wearing a fake XYZ watch, if they and I were to engage in a discussion that compares and contrasts Watch X with Watch Y, they aren't in a strong position to contribute substantive value to the discussion of specific differences if they don't at least own an authentic version of one of the watches. As much as a watch and its mimic may look alike, the fact remains that the substance of the two is not alike at all. For folks who just want a look and don't care about any other attributes of the watch in question, a fake will do just fine. Moreover, given that what they value about watches is just the look, spending the money to buy the authentic version could be a foolhardy move for them inasmuch as doing so calls for them to spend thousands more than they need to in order to obtain that which they actually want.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0