View Single Post
      02-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

In the US, the touring body style is typically associated with the 1970s and 1980s "station wagons", that were ugly with terrible performance. The group of people who need the extra cargo room that these cars did/do provide easily moved onto more stylish SUVs.

Of course you will run across a small sub-segment (mainly folks here!) who still appreciate the touring, but overall the design falls flat in the US.

Personally, I think the F31 looks decent enough, but I don't think I could bring myself to actually buy one. I actually think the 3er GT is a bit more stylish, while retaining all the functionality of a touring, plus giving you a substantial increase in rear legroom.

Remember, we will only get the xDrive F31 here. The xDrive is useless to 100 million+ people in the US who never see snow or ice.

An ActiveHybrid version is somewhat appealing, but not combined with xDrive. I'm starting to think an F34 Hybrid, or F34 in 325d guise might be just the sweet spot for a car with more room than an standard F30, but not the bulk of an X3/X4.
Appreciate 0