View Single Post
      06-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Thumbs up High Beam Assistant - more videos and observations

I'm still absolutely loving High Beam Assistant, as can be seen from my previous thread here and Jason's thread here.

It's just the best feature ever fitted to a car .

EDIT: This advanced HBA is not available on the US F30's. The US gets the simple high beam ON/OFF function, with the Adaptive Xenon's following their preset instructions of to what extent they follow curves in the road and change beam length/width/pattern. Sorry! I think it's due to your road laws.

So, I've been out tonight capturing more videos of it in action, and with it I have some more observations and more conclusions.

I'm going to start with the conclusion; it's not named right. It should be called something like "Dynamic Lighting", with High Beam Assistant being a sub-feature of this.

Now, with Adaptive Xenon's, the beam is directed to the corners (especially left being UK) and the beam also changes depending on the speed and gear (i.e. D to R) - so it's already impressive. Enable HBA and bring the camera into play - wow. Ignoring the high beam feature, which I think we've covered a lot now, the beam is then infinitely adaptive and will dance all over the road to distribute light to the greatest extent whilst not dazzling other drivers. Also, the range of the beam is adaptive. Its objective seems to have light touching just below the bumper of the car in front.

If I come closer to the car in front, the beam range will reduce so the light isn't blinding the driver. If I drop back, it will increase so light is still touching the vehicle. Clever clever stuff!

Back to the high beam feature, the system will create tunnels as we know for the car ahead and oncoming traffic. This means as much light is distributed onto the road as possible without blinding other drivers. And it looks REALLY COOL. I've found that a lot of drivers slow down for a look at what's going on and I'm sure I've been mistaken for an unmarked police car on occasions!

So I've added a load of video to demonstrate the above features.

It is AMAZING. I couldn't recommend this feature more. It just needs a different name - "High Beam Assistant" is too focused.

p.s I kinda go off topic and partake in some more 'spirited' driving around 3:20

Enjoy!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0