View Single Post
      05-16-2013, 01:23 AM   #32
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

I'm willing to bet that the no-carb diets a few of you mentioned are based around your body entering into Ketosis (using fat instead of carbs as the immediate source of energy). I've done a cycle of the Keto diet and it's good for short term dieting, but I would not recommend anyone do it longer than 2-3 months.

As far as eating late at night, eating periodically, or other food portion management techniques,I disagree... FOR THE AVERAGE PERSON. Obviously, when your body fat gets into the single digits, you really have to fine tune your diet, but he's not a fitness model.

In regards to losing weight: Eat whenever, and technically whatever you want as long as you maintain a caloric deficit. Eating carbs at night isn't the best thing because they basically become empty calories, but it's not going to stop you from losing weight.

Also, there's plenty of debate on eating many small meals a day or eating only 1-2 very large meals. Again, for the average person, it's not going to make any difference. Eating periodically will help curb your appetite, but eating one very large meal can help raise your metabolism. Your body has to work very hard to process a huge meal. That's why you feel tired after eating Thanksgiving dinner (Turkey actually has fairly low Tryptophan levels).

My theory: Change it up. Some days you can eat 5-6 small meals. Other days eat maybe 1-2 big meals. It will help maintain your sanity and the change in eating habits will help keep your body from getting used to your new calorie intake levels.

You can put gas in your car ever 50 miles or you can fill up only when the low fuel light comes on. Similarly, you can put 87 octane or 93 octane in your tank. Either way, you're still filling your tank up and the car will run.

I use that reference because calories are simply a measurement of energy. It's cheesy, but it's true. If you eat healthy food (93 octane) you will naturally feel better, get sick less, and your body will make the most out of the calories in your food.

If you eat like crap (87 octane), your body will still function and you can still lose weight, but it isn't optimal and it's a dirtier way to diet.

There are certain advantages to eating periodically or eating once a day. One may be slightly better, but there is no proof that either method makes a SIGNIFICANT difference in your results.

Either way will work. I agree that there are "best practices" when it comes to dieting. However, he wouldn't have to diet if he already had those kinds of eating habits.

I could write volumes on this stuff. I'm not saying that I'm right and everyone else is wrong, but I think many of the recommendations you hear on the internet are not as important as people make them out to be.
Appreciate 0