View Single Post
      05-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #42
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmahany View Post

You didn't say anything that was incorrect. I simply wanted to add that the things you mentioned can be very hard for someone who has let themselves go for a long period of time. If you’ve been eating taco bell and mcdonalds for the last 10 years, it can be very hard to suddenly try and maintain a perfect diet.

I'm much like you. I use a culmination of my personal experience, the experience of others, and scientific evidence. Like you said, everyone is different and will respond differently. As far as your diet: I ate literally the exact same things (except pasta). I know probably 20 different ways to prepare chicken.

A bit further on the no-carbs diet. You really have to give it at least a month for it to benefit you. It takes most people between 4-7 days just to enter ketosis and even one slip up with eating carbs can cause it to take longer. You can buy keto sticks at most pharmacies. It sounds gross but they’re basically little strips of paper you pee on that measure the level of ketones in your urine. That’s the easiest way to tell if your body is in ketosis or not. Keto diets are very effective, but it’s a very tough diet to maintain and you can’t sway from the diet in the least bit. Like you said, the first few days when you begin are TERRIBLE. I was angry, moody, and lethargic for about 2-3 days and my roommates back then hated me. Until your body enters ketosis, you’re basically starving it of energy.

I’m far from an expert on this topic, but I have a decent resume of success (and failures) in regards to dieting, fitness, and overall health.
A timeline of my life (some good, some bad)
-Competitive powerlifter (squatted 675 pounds at 211 pounds when I was 17 years old)
-I once cut 10.5 pounds in 24 hours to make weight for a meet
-Received a full baseball scholarship out of high school (junior college)
-Herniated my L4/L5 vertebrae which started my weight gain
-Gained 40 pounds in a little over a year (my highest point was around 250lbs)
-Girlfriend of 4 years broke up with me (my motivation to change myself)
-Lost almost 60 pounds in 15 weeks (Usually those kind of results are considered unhealthy, but I had a near perfect diet and worked out 4+ hours a day)
-Lost even more weight a few months later (my lowest point was around 179 pounds)
-Re-signed with a University and finished up my baseball career
-Currently, I’ve kept off the bad weight for 3 years now. My weight now fluctuates at around 195-200 lbs which I’ve decided is the best weight for my height and build.

That’s not meant to come off as bragging, but I’ve had many experiences that helped me understand what it takes to overcome many personal and physical challenges. I know others have as well (including yourself). But for the people that have always been thin their entire life, your advice will change drastically when you go through similar struggles.
I hear that. Good stuff.

I dont think I'll try the no carb diet. It's not a lifestyle I want to have to deal with.

Yes, the many ways of eating chicken. I forgot sometimes I changed it up with some plain ground beef, tuna, and white fish or salmon here and there.
Appreciate 0