epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155MPH View Post
Could this be a good investment car?
No. A vintage 912 would be a fun classic to own, and I've often thought of buying one and swapping in one of those hopped-up VW motors (the 912's 356-style engine makes this a breeze), but mostly a nice 912 is seen as a source of parts for an early 911 resto - despite being identical in almost every way. In the Porsche world everything begins and ends with the 911, and great cars like the 912 (which handles better than a same year 911 because the engine gives it better weight distribution), 914, 944/968, etc. all fall by the wayside. One day the wonderful Cayman S will join the pantheon of also-ran "nota911s."

If you see the car again, check the interior - the 5-gauge instrument cluster is preferable, as is the 5-speed manual trans instead of the 4-speed or Sportomatic, and a complete interior is a must, especially the door pockets. I suspect the 912 you saw had none of these.

Personally, if I had space for TWO toy cars, I'd have a Z4 and a black/black 1966 912 coupe with factory sunroof with steel wheels and hubcaps instead of Fuchs alloys.
Appreciate 0