04-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #51
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by rado View Post
All the reports, including the posted repair order, sound consistent with loss of some or all power assist to the brakes, which would give a "hard pedal" and would feel like most or all braking is lost (you have to press *really hard* on the pedal to get braking when you lose all vacuum to a power-assisted brake system).

But regardless of what any of us thinks about the veracity of these reports, my advise stands that anyone that experiences a malfunction or failure in a new car that results in an unsafe condition should provide an accurate description of their experience to the NHTSA; it's up the NHTSA to review the reports, assess the seriousness of the risk, look for trends, and call for a formal investigation when appropriate. Loss of power assist to the brakes definitely qualifies as an unsafe condition. OTOH, don't bother reporting squealing brakes, dashboard rattles, or a minor steering vibration, leave those to the dealer and BMWNA.
Completely agree, but again I'm not convinced the OP was being completely truthful. I mean come on, guy who happens to have a loaner happens to have his brakes go out when he happens to be at the top of a hill? And then he tokyo drifts the thing into a tree sideways? I have tried getting my tires to lock up with my ebrake and I don't really think that's going to happen.
Appreciate 0