Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebl View Post
I never use IS on a tripod, I've seen the results on that, the IS will make tiny circles hunting around.( ten to thirty second night exposures) Your 5D and 500 are in a whole different class of IQ than the 300/7D.
It could also be vibration from the wind, I'm not going to get one of those heavy Berlebach tripods either, aluminum was heavy enough.

link to 135 w/1.4x at distance showing heat and wind but still "crisp". Granted my PS sucks but I don't see this with the 300/1.4 at distance. The distance is ~1.5 miles
http://kevingoto.smugmug.com/Sports/...tXhp9&lb=1&s=O
For long exposures, turn IS off, but Canon is fine with it on for "normal" exposures.

I like that shot a lot. I don't think that you can really expect better sharpness at that distance.

I've got a 7D also. It's AF is VERY inconsistent in AI Servo mode. It'll hunt and blow four to six images out of ten. I thought I was screwing up until I bought the 5D3 and the shots were suddenly all in focus. When you can, shoot the 7D in single shot mode. If they fix that problem on the MkII, I'll start using it again.

Dave