11-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
The wasted time probably bothers them more than ordering an extra car. In the end, it's just another car and someone will buy it.
Not necessarily, especially in this economy. Perhaps the vehicle has an odd combination of options as well, making it less likely to sell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Captain My Captain View Post
So does the dealer get charged a % as soon as the order is placed and do they lose that ? If this were the case, I'd expect every dealership to ask for a large deposit on the car.
I'm not 100% on if the dealer is charged when the order is placed, but I would imagine so. Most dealers DO take deposits on ordered vehicles, and again we're not sure how far along in the process this particular customer was. Another thing that would upset the salesman is his commisions. He is paid his comission after the sale has been "finalized" (papers signed, deposit down). If cancelled, the salesman you spoke to may have lost himself a large amount of money. Many people losing upwards of $1000 spending money before the holidays most likely won't be too happy. Regardless of impressions the majority of car salesman don't take home large incomes.

Having said all that, it still sounds like he could have had more tact.