10-08-2008, 07:25 AM   #21
ToddPhilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
so an enthusiast can't like a "heavy" car? i don't follow the logic...
I can't speak for Kampfer, but I think I know where he was going with this. M stands for Motorsport correct? I guess the origin of M was small, light cars with reasonable power and a proper focus on handling, road feel, and just all-around great driving dynamics. Over the years, BMW's focus of the M brand really had to change a bit to keep up with the HP wars MB and now Audi (and even a few other jap & american competitors) are bringing on. I think M has done a great job of maintaining their focus on handling and driving dynamics, but lets face it, you won't see an X6 (M) or X5 (M) or even very many M5s or M6s out on a track. So 'Motorsport' is more of a badge than an intended use for the vehicle. BMW's M division has trended to produce vehicles more like MB's AMG over the recent years. Not exactly like them, but trending in that direction. In MB's defense, they've really stepped up their game with recent AMG entries. But at the end of the day, neither BMW nor MB make what I would call a true car intended for motorsport use. Porsche has stayed a bit more true to their origin than BMW's M division. It's not really a bad thing for BMW per se. It's just a difference in the market each company is going after. I would love to see BMW produce a true track monster like a 911 GT3. I just don't think it's going to happen.