stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4P View Post
repost although I don't agree with misterskimask
M has recently confirmed they have dropped all plans for a mid-engine supercar. They are happy plodding along in their quest for mediocrity as it turns the highest profit. So, no. The answer is no.

Source: http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/12/29/bm...-the-supercar/
Quote:
“A lot of people come to me and ask, does M need a supercar? We’ve had the choice to do something like that that when we were planning the 1-Series M Coupe. Amongst its development, we all pondered: do we do a supercar as in a mid-engined wedge, or some super high-priced front-engined wedge?,” said Russell. “We’ve discussed these possibilities. But ultimately, we didn’t feel the need to make a very exclusive high-end supercar and we still don’t. I already firmly believe that we produce supercars, except that they’re two in one: an executive car with supercar performance. They are the essence of BMW M-Cars.”
Besides the M3 is apparently already a supercar.....

BMW feels no need to compete with Audi (R8) or Mercedes (SLS) as they feel that those cars "do not offer significant performance innovations" that they aren't already doing in their line of cars. It's marketing BS but that's the bottom line. When a company calls a 4 door sedan a supercar, they have lost it.
Quote:
When pressed further about M building an Audi R8, Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG or Lexus LFA competitor, Matt responded to egmcartech.com,

“I look at those cars in two different ways: cosmetically and at a performance stand point. Sure Lexus, Audi, Mercedes and Porsche all created supercars with a great deal of sex appeal. But I see our M cars as sexy too. Performance wise, they’re not doing anything that we haven’t already done in a two-door sports coupe or four-door sports sedan, thus there’s no huge performance breakthrough on those cars that we can’t create or sell at a lower price point. All of that said, we don’t think the BMW M buyer needs a super exclusive and super expensive car because of what they get from our current M-Cars. Most buyers already have second cars that have more of an emphasis on performance and BMW M shows the world how versatile and livable a supercar can be. BMW M cars are for those buyers who don’t want to make that sacrifice in performance for practicality.”
There is NO BMW halo car. The tech is dispersed throughout the model range. For example, the S63 was updated to the S63Tu and is now their "halo" V8. Just like the S65 was borrowed from the "halo" V10 S85.

Last edited by stefan; 01-24-2012 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0