05-08-2010, 03:30 AM   #37
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
This is simply not true. In fact, its grossly incorrect. Within in my immediate family (parents, sister, myself, and sig other) we have had over the last few years, a Garmin nav, Tom Tom, Infiniti OEM on a G35, M-B system on a S-class, Idrive LCI, and OEMs in an Acura TSX and Acura TL. The Idrive system is not as easy to use as the touch screen systems, but the routes it plans are every bit as good. No diff whatsoever from the systems plotted by the Garmin, although it does acquire a signal a lot faster (the Garmin sometimes hesitates, it is a non-issue in on-board OEM systems).

My guess is that you had the options set incorrectly so that it plotted a poor route.

Again, your system most likely gave you "the longest route around town" because you programmed it incorrectly. There are options for different kinds of routes (easiest, shortest, most efficient) and you appear to have selected the incorrect one.

Idrive also has far more features than you are giving it credit for. Its really, really nice for integration with 6FL, PCD, BMWAssist, etc.

Its not a perfect system, by any means, but your post was skewed and inaccurate.

In a lot of ways, your post reminds me of all those journalists who use Idrive once, never bother to even read the manual, and then write it off as being too hard to program.
I really hope I have set it wrong, cuz the iDrive does look mighty cool but so far it just sucks in routing. We tried 'Fastest' route, 'Shortest' route, or 'Efficient' route and all the route it gave us sucks. Also, it's ability to show nearby street is also inadequate. More often than not you either have to zoom out a lot or zoom in a lot to see a nearby street's name. As you drive if the name of a route moves out of the screen, it's gone forever and the names won't rearrage themselves on the map for best placement and fitment.

It is possible that the iDrive works perfect in the US and it's only inadequate in Vancouver or Canada in general. However unless someone quickly enlightens me, it continues to be a fancy dead weight on my gf's car...
Appreciate 0