Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andysk585 View Post
Hey Tom, I bought an e92 m3 2012 second hand and currently has 28k. Recently I've noticed a growing ticking noise separate from the ticking generated by the lifters. Its coming from the bottom left of the engine close to the drivers wheel well and the clicking is in unison with the rpm speed. Its not quite a developed rod knock noise but after doing some research I fear it may be a rod bearing issue. Now, I still have a year of original factory warranty but I still plan on getting the rod bearing upgrade from eas however had a few questions.

-since I’m under warranty, I plan on having my engine checked by the dealer. Can anyone suggest the best way to approach the dealer?

-if the rod bearings are indeed the issue, will the dealer swap out the bearings with the same OEM bearings potentially causing this to happen again?

-these issues were never fixed for the newer M3s? (my 2012)

Thanks in advance!
Get it inspected by your dealer and some sort of diagnosis in writing. You may need to pay for an hour or two of labor - but it may help if you have an issue later down the road if still covered by warranty.

Blackstone oil test beforehand is never a bad idea. We can always inspect if you would like, feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0