Thread: 2015 C7 Z06
View Single Post
      08-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #61
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Everyone who buys a GT-R is a skilled track driver, for sure. No poser who wants to look fast ever buys one...

Point being,

Just like some guys with lots of money want to buy a [insert exotic here] to show off and whistle at the ladies, there are guys who will get a Vette or a GT-R to "show off" how fast they are.

It's just a different reason/purpose of the posing, but it is still posing.

Vette is also sort of the quintessential American dream car for the people. It's kind of a blue collar dream car.

"I'll retire and get a Vette"
"I just got divorced and look I'm free so here's my Vette"

Bottom line guys is that any car that is special it will be bought by enthusiasts and posers alike, and some, like the Vette due to its fame, will be bought by neither - just normal people who want a sports car and will never drive it to its full capabilities, or take it to the track, but are genuinely interested in owning that car.

Not every guy with money who buys an exotic is a poser or not true enthusiast;
Not every guy who buys a Vette or GT-R is a true enthusiast automatically.

Just wanted to throw that in there; as enthusiasts we can appreciate all cars for their intended purpose and realize there are bad apples, as they say, in every group.

Also food for thought, to the comment about "people with money I see what they buy and it's to show off" -- what about guys who come into success and money, and they can finally get that Ferrari or Lambo they've dreamed of since they were 12? To anyone but that guy, it looks like he's showing off; but you know what, that same guy doesn't GAF what people think, because he knows the real deal inside which is all that matters.

And yes, I do realize that guy is probably less common than the douchebag with the Lambo revving it up and never getting out of 2nd gear...
Appreciate 0