View Single Post
      06-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #9
glennjoseph
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
Asking for a sealant or a wax recommendation is like asking which flavor of ice cream do you like. Since you are using Menzerna....I say Menzerna Power Lock. You will have no adhesion issues due to the synergy of the products. If it was my car....I would put a coating on it and be done with it for a few years.

The bumper generally will respond differently than the body panels since it is plastic and not metal. You should do some test spots to verify the process. I suggest picking up a few polishing pads. Start with the polishing pads for your test spots and work your way up to the cutting pads. I seldom use a cutting pad on soft paint such as Jet Black. Leveling down the defects is not the issue. Being able to finish down nicely is.

The Menzerna polish needs to break down for it to be effective. The abrasives in the polish get finer and finer with each subsequent passes. You are wasting product if you stop too early. On average....5-8 passes should do the trick in the ideal condition (indoor, working area no bigger than 1.5' x 1.5', moderate arm speed, panel temperature). After you done a few, you will know exactly when to stop by the way the buffer trail looks. It should look somewhat translucent.

You should already have a backing plate. It looks like this.

Mark your plate like this.
Thanks for the great advice! Mine didn't come with a backing plate so I'll need to get one. I will also get a few white polishing pads and to finish off I'll get Menzerna Power Lock to go with my PF2500. Also, I have a 5.5" pad so I should get a 5" backing plate correct?