View Single Post
      09-01-2008, 10:14 AM   #21
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal2Floor View Post
First off, a BMW has never been about HP. The Big 3 have always been about HP -- thus the retro Mustang, Camaro and Challenger.

In the past, the belief is that one needed a high horse power halo car....that was the past. In today's Wall Street Journal Report they reported the Chrysler is going to nix the Viper and is looking for a buyer for the brand and said that GM will follow suit with stopping some models of the Vette. The next halo car is the one that can deliver the highest MPG -- GM is late to the game with the CTS-V -- its now all about the Volt and which car will deliver the best MPG -- at least for the US and European markets.

The auto world is changing -- it is a race to see who is more "green" and who can deliver the highest MPG. The green army is taking over and it is changing the agenda -- The Detroit Big 3 needs a bailout, in return for that bailout whoever is next in office is going to force them to develop some type of stupid plug-in or hybrid -- it will be all about the MPG.

Enthusiasts in the US and EU will have to take a back seat.
Point is, a new production Cadillac beat the M5 on a track. BMW showed up with both a manual and SMG, and if I understand it, both lost. If Cadillac is late to the game, how late is the E92 M3 and the next M5? I dunno about most on this forum, but 20 mpg on the highway doesn't really appeal to me. So offer me 12k off a new M3, and I'll pass today, tomorrow, and 5 years from now.
Appreciate 0